Dec 7, 2005

a memory
When I was about 15 years old, I went on a youth retreat to Florida. Shortly before the trip our church received a new pastor, and I was eager to impress him. One evening about 25 of us sat in a circle at the end of a service and our new pastor did what he called "opening people's mail." The mail was from God. We sat with our heads down between our knees, as if bracing for the imminent arrival of a hurricane, or knelt with our noses dug into the seat of our chairs. Our pastor said at the beginning, "God wants you to know that He cares for you, and that is why He is showing me what is in your lives. He wants to heal you." He spent nearly an hour reading our mail. He'd explain some pain in someone's life. That person would raise their hand, and our pastor would pray for him or her. For nearly an hour he spoke words of life into people's hearts and called people out of sin. Then he said, "There's one more thing that God wants to do tonight. This is very special. I want you all to listen closely to the Lord." Long pause. "God is calling four people tonight into the ministry. He is stirring your hearts right now. If you feel God calling you, I want you to respond to that call and let me know He is calling you, because He has some special words for you tonight." My heart stirred, but growing up in a Pentecostal church and home, I knew the dangerous possibility of confusing my emotions with true revelation. No one was raising their hands. The pastor kept calling. Someone raised a hand, then another did the same, then a third. The pastor kept calling. My heart began to race. He said he knew who the last person was. My emotional response was so strong, yet I was terrified of the possibility that it was not me and my hand raising would betray to our new pastor my lack of spirituality. My heart began to pound against my other organs. I wanted to raise my hand just to get it over with, but I was petrified. I felt as if I were a space heater, solely responsible for changing the temperature of the room to be ten degrees warmer. After what seemed like another hour, but must have only been five or ten minutes, my new pastor put me out of my misery by saying my name.. "Tim, it's you. God is calling you." All the heat was released and ran out of me in one exhalation that barely formed the first consonant of "Yes."

I've been a long time trying to understand that Yes.

7 comments:

Grahama said...

WOW! God was in Florida in the 90's! Who Knew!

Grace said...

This reminds me of the conversation that we had at my kitchen table (except there is no demonic activty - that we know of).

I know what you mean though. I have a story from the good ol' days that I've been trying to make sense of with my new world view and its so strange to try bringing the past into the future. I'm not the same person i was back then... but the story is unmistakably 'other' than myself.

T. Basselin said...

Grace -
hmmm.
"'other' than myself."
My view of it is other than it used to be, but the story, the experience, is not other. Rather, it is integral to who I am. I think the reason I'm still struggling with it so is that I refuse to allow it to become simply 'other.'

I agree that it is difficult and strange to "try bringing the past into the future."


e.u. -
I just like saying e.u., because it sounds like pee uuuu!

Anonymous said...

I can't speak definitively for Grace, but I think she meant to say that the origen of the story was "other than" herself. She was affirming that she believed it wasn't all just made up in her head.

Now pardon my whilst I finish my final paper of the semester.

(Word bonus: "whilst" 1 point)

Anonymous said...

I can speak definitively for myself in that I didn't mean to say that Origen, the Greek writer, teacher and church "father" gave her the revelation. I rather meant, "origin". I can affirm that I am all crazy in the head.

Now pardon me whilst I spellcheck my final paper of the semester.

(Word bonus: "Origen" -1 point)

T. Basselin said...

thanks for almost clearing that up, matt

Sib said...

tim...thanks for sharing this post. vulnerability is exciting and daunting, for the potential for life-change is so near.