Nov 30, 2005

The life of a kid

Since we've arrived in Frankfort, the overwhelming pressure of the every day has lifted. The small things are easier. We're not walking along the edge of a precipice trying not to fall. There's less yelling. There are, however, bigger things to be concerned about. My mother-in-law Holly had open-heart surgery less than a week after we arrived. All went well, and we thought we were all on the road to recovery, at least a three month process. A couple days later she had to go back in for pneumonia. When she got out 2 days later we thought the relaxing times had finally arrived. The next day she got a phone call: the lump she had found in her breast a few weeks earlier was not benign after all. The question was how long do you have to wait after open heart surgery to have another surgery? Sadly, the cancer had aggressive tendencies, so the surgery needed to be done as soon as possible. A week ago yesterday she had it removed. She came home on Wed. and we celebrated Thanksgiving on Thursday, certain that we had much to be thankful for and looking forward to things being somewhat normal (perhaps even getting fully moved in to our new home).

My brother-in-law Kiel turned 21 on Saturday and had a big party. We relaxed some on Sunday. Monday came and we were finally going to get on a schedule, something our poor children desperately needed. I left in the morning and studied all day and came home to a much cleaner house. Robin had been busy. The kids seemed happy. Yesterday morning I took them to school and they were happy to be there. I went to the library to study. I shortly received an email: Robin's grandma had died. I returned home to be with Robin. We're now leaving tomorrow to drive to NW Iowa. Robin's sister Rachel, who also had surgery 2 weeks ago, and her 4 yr old son are flying in from Little Rock today. Kiel is driving in from Grand Rapids tonight. We're all loading up in two vans tomorrow and driving to Sheldon, Iowa - about ten hours. We'll probably drive back on Sunday.

My heart is heavy today. So many people around me need care - some that I can give, some that I cannot. It's not like I've lived here my whole life. I have a visitor's relationship with my in-laws, yet this is no visitor's burden. It's all rather surreal. Most of the time all I can do is simply be, just keep doing what I have to do - mostly taking care of the kids. Yet somehow, that simple being feels divinely ordained, as though God brought me here, placed me in the midsts of this so that I could simply be.

However, the more I think about it, I'm not so sure my presence here is as ordained as is my childrens'. Their ever-forward-moving liveliness is helping drag the rest of us through all this - ever presently reminding us that Life does not stop. And there's something very good in the forward motion. Something that avoids stagnation, avoids depression, and doesn't let death get the last word.

I hope for all of us that when we look back on this time we will not see a triumph secured by running away from death, but rather a triumph found by means of holding adoringly on to life - at least partially in this case Risa and Karis.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you guys are taking another hit. So many! And I offer so many prayers in response.

Miss you guys,
Matt

T. Basselin said...

thanks

Anonymous said...

Maybe this will help me keep up with my brother better. Let Robin know that you are in our prayers. Hebrews 12:1-3 says, Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfector of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. NIV

Tim's brother Chris

T. Basselin said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
T. Basselin said...

thanks bro

Anonymous said...

So sad to see the Basselins move from Pasadena--and even sadder to hear about the difficulties you are facing. I want to scream at the cosmos for you: "Enough already!!!!!!!" Peace be with you guys. Sending thoughts of encouragement and energy your way. If we were closer, we would bring you dinner and weinhardts/reinhardts (??) rootbeer. Good times.

Sabrina

Grace said...

Like I told you when we were in Philly... you're in our prayers... all of you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Man,

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Hang in there. God is in control.

We miss you guys desperately, and I am ashamed that I have done such a poor job of staying in touch.

The BLOG is a superb idea!

I think it will help us stay in touch and up to date.

Know that you are in our prayers.

Wayne, Mel, Timothy, and Jacob.

T. Basselin said...

Thank you all for your prayers and kindness. I didn't realize how much I needed to hear those things and to know that others are praying.

Anonymous said...

Dude, you write real pretty like.
Makes me want to read more.
Y'all are on our minds a lot.
Much Shalom
e

Anonymous said...

We pray. Kims.

T. Basselin said...

yeah, i'll be there 24th - 28th or something like that