Dec 13, 2005

We went to church on Sunday-
Nick asked concerning my last post for a follow-up that suggested practical ways of siding with the oppressed. This post is the beginning of an answer. I think that on one level we all know practical ways of siding with the oppressed, but on another level we have little theological framework for doing so. I hope this post can begin to lay a foundation, even if not any walls or roof. I apologize for its length.

We went to church on Sunday. It was refreshing – a strong focus on the spirit, something most all churches I attend are missing. Most churches are physical places that focus on the spiritual. They attempt to carve open small spaces in the midst of the physical into which they might invite the spiritual. They are places where respectable people are comfortable in their physical bodies though realizing they need hints of the spiritual to gradually make them better people. The church we attended Sunday was a spiritual place uncomfortable with the physical. It was a gathering of socially awkward people, unsure of how to react to the presence of strangers. Some were misshapen, some spoke funnily. There was an abnormal percentage of towering, wide beings that never spoke, the kind that are teddy bears if you know them but slow-moving brick walls if you don’t.

Their singing worship did not simply invite the spiritual into the physical. Rather, they escaped the physical, fully rejoicing in the spirtual. They longed to be raptured. They reached high opening their arms to heaven, now unconcerned with what strangers might think. They reveled in a now safe place. And God was there – not visiting small spaces recently opened, but everywhere, inhabiting their corporate praise. The physical became uncomfortable, distraction abnormal.

There were only about 40 people, and it seemed half of them were involved in the service in some way. They never spoke in generalities. They spoke to each other, addressing people specifically throughout. Announcement time was not a time to zone out and make a grocery list or read the bulletin – there was no bulletin. Instead it was more like a large family gathering where someone yells to get everyone’s attention so that they can inform the group about the gathering’s schedule – ribbing and laughter included.

The sermon, unsurprisingly, was about the spirit man, and how it must reign over the physical man, and that our purpose as Christians was to have our spirit man rule more and more over the carnal man. Examples of life saving spiritual visions and insights were referenced – examples from the lives of the people in the church, not of anyone outside.

The message, the feeling, were similar to the church I grew up in, and there was comfort for me in the focus on the spiritual. The problem, however, was the same as the church I grew up in. The sermon had no mention of the world’s suffering, only their own suffering and how it could be avoided by listening to the spirit more carefully. In fact, I don’t remember any reference to anyone outside of the church. There was a considerable focus on giving, but only giving to the church was ever mentioned. The preacher said there was nothing wrong with making more money, because the more they made, the more they could bring into the church. All references to physicality were disparaging. The physical was the source of suffering. The preacher said our spirits came before our bodies and would exist after our bodies, the world here is merely a testing ground. She then likened our bodies to a car that we would one day open the door and step out of.

Why must a focus on the spiritual be accompanied by such myopia (narrow viewing)? Perhaps as a person focuses more and more on the spiritual, she becomes more and more uncomfortable with the physical. So as long as God is speaking to her spirit about something in her own life, she can hear it, but when God attempts to speak through her to address something in the physical, it gets all jumbled up and confused. Or perhaps it is simply human nature to be self-focused, so we practice listening to what will make us better individuals, but tend to focus less on what will help someone else.

I’m not sure; but it does seem obvious to me that people who focus strongly on the spiritual tend to create a dichotomy between the physical and the spiritual. The spiritual is only elevated at the expense of the physical. This view is, of course, traceable to scripture. Paul, especially, writes a great deal about the spiritual and the physical being at war with one another, and we have assumed that war involve good (spiritual) vs. evil (physical). So those who seek the spiritual do it by denying the physical, escaping from the physical, in essence continually hoping to be raptured out of the physical. The focus then becomes on how I personally can be more spiritual, closer to God, further away from the physical.

I believe, however, that we have misinterpreted these scriptures. The war is between good and evil, but good and evil are both physical and spiritual. Praying can be a good spiritual act that helps overcome an evil physical addiction. However, giving to the poor is a good physical act that helps to overcome evil spiritual problems, as is forgiveness and most of the fruits (physical things) of the spirit. The spiritual world is both good and evil. The physical world is both good and evil. If we seek only the spiritual (assuming it is only good), we are in danger of casting out demons in Jesus’ name, yet arriving in heaven and being told that he never knew us.

We seem to understand well that there are good spiritual acts that war against physically evil forces, but we need to learn that there are also good physical acts that war against spiritually evil forces.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...You are as elusive as Paul in his appropriation of terms.

Rick Beaton once told a class I was in that you had to interpret "sarx" (Greek for "flesh") each and every time that Paul used it because it was not often used the same way.

I see what you are trying to do: to maintain a kind of dualism but do it without forfeiting a "biblical" holism that makes room for the agency of those who suffer in this world.

I applaud this.

But I'm not sure we need to keep the dualism. I don't think you go far enough.

First, I don't think Paul usually used the term "sarx" to refer to "physical matter" as you imply in your first few uses as you contrast it with physical. I think Paul meant "sarx" to refer to those things which were not spiritual, i.e.: not of God and God's "things". I think interpreting "sarx" as physical matter would have been too close to the gnosticism that plagued the church of the late biblical period. I think you agree when you say we have misinterpreted these passages. I also think that perhaps the church you mention in this post had a pretty hard and fast differentiation of "spirit and matter" that would be pretty close -- but not entirely equal to -- gnosticism's rejection of matter as evil.

But later in your post you blur the lines...in a good way. Sometimes spiritual can be physical and physical can be spiritual.

What if we went further? What if spirit didn't really mean what Plato suggested: a corporeal entity that parallels but is not equal to matter? What if spiritual was simply a way of acting in the "physical" world that was in accordance with God's commands, spirit and originally good and ordered creation? What if "sarx" (i.e.: physical) then meant acting in any way that was un-spiritual? For me, this eliminates all Greek dualism in a way that we no longer are tempted by them. Humans are made of dust. They "are a soul" and do not "have a soul". They are entirely within the created order that God called "good". They are required to be resurrected if they are to live eternally. They are required to see the renewal of the planet (the "new earth") rather than allowed to envision the wanton destruction of this one. They are required to live IN THIS WORLD with all it's suffering and death, as God's agents and ministers of new life and not tempted to neatly label things clean/unclean, sacred/secular.

Of course, questions remain. Where does that leave "evil spirits," evil forces? What are the metaphysics there? How can we reconceptualize the efficacy of prayer in a non-dualistic world?

These are the things I am thinking as I read your post, trying to find ways to come to the same holism you seek as central to the person and work of Jesus.

T. Basselin said...

wow - i can't believe you read all of both of those ridiculously long posts. thanks.
thanks for your comments as well. good stuff. I'll have to think about it more some time when there aren't kids yelling in the background. I liked what you were saying, but it sounds a little too simplistic. It seems to me that some things still come from beyond, or outside of the physical into the physical.

How, for example, would your system (I don't mean "yours") explain the incarnation?

Anonymous said...

Ah. Well I don't reduce God to matter. God is still transcendent although I am also a panentheist (read: not pantheist). So the incarnation is, well, it is what it is. No one in the history of the church has come up with anything more than a mushy and fuzzy answer on that one.

Basically, I am trying to say that--other than God--all that is created is material although I am not an essentialist (i.e.: I don't reduce people to atoms and particles). Whatever we are more than matter is through God's sustaining presence, God's ruach.

I really would settle for this, put eschatologically: whatever we are after we die, if indeed we continue to exist prior to resurrection, is not an ideal or complete state. Perhaps we continue to exist in "blueprint". But we are beings of the dust, not of some corporeal spirit-matter.

Just put this on a bumper sticker and all will be cool:

Friends don't let friends theologize dualistically

Grahama said...

I can follow all this but i have to stand on my tippy toes to keep it from rocketing over my head.
I have no idea how y'all can think about something long enought to make so much sense of it!
It's fun to be able to say i have friends who are theologins, especially when i'm not really sure how to spell theologin.
So far as the whole God thingy goes though, I've got that one figured out. God is. (i think that's nouwen, or maybe seuss.) What is God? i don't know, but i do know that it is something even cooler than i can imagine and that's the exciting part. 'cause i can imagine some perty cool stuff. Like joy flavoured jelly bellies and elbow pads that make you able to fly, breathe underwater and turn invisible! So if God is something cooler than that! I've got no idea what it is, but it is worthy of worhip that's for sure!

sorry, got a little off topic maybe.

T. Basselin said...

Dude, you're too deep for me - you need to get your own blog.

you could call it
20,000 leagues under the city of god

T. Basselin said...

btw- that's addressed to both of you, though one of you might need another name for your blog - like -
deepbluelove,yeahbaby

Anonymous said...

Um I would have to say I am more inclined to be able to post to E.U.'s Blog rather than this one. Even though I at this moment could not begin to form a Logical response to the above posts, I do follow them and I can see the Valid point to them Thought process. I too went to the same church as Tim, although nowhere near as long. I can envision how this church that he attended operates and identify with it, while still questioning how they could worship a God that said go out into ALL the world, but yet sit there and worry about ONLY themselves and preventing their own misfortunes.

Grahama said...

Post if up my brotha jake!
I'll try to get something worthy of comment on there.

Sib said...

tim - nice post, you are writing some thought-provoking posts in this blog, and I enjoy it. being away from pasadena, i'm nearly isolated in terms of these types of conversations. i'll need to dust off my brain and join the party you and matt are having.

good stuff, matt. holy shishkabob, you went deep. i haven't done much thinking in relation to physical/spiritual, but i am in agreement with the ideas you presented, so far as I understand them at this point. especially, i love the idea that spiritual is how we act in the physical (sometimes, at least). i've never been comfortable with dualism. so much to think through...

and i love how you put...maybe we will exist in blueprint after we die

Anonymous said...

Tim will be at my house tomorrow. I will have to ask him to explain what you guys are talking about. What is dualism exactly? No response needed. I will ask Tim tomorrow. I am just glad I have such a smart brother.

Merry Christmas,
Chris