Jan 16, 2006

I had a good weekend, but two things have depressed me this morning.

First, I looked unsuccessfully on the net this morning for any kind of celebration honoring Martin Luther King Jr in my area. I wanted to take my family to something where we could learn about and remember this man's life and teaching. I could not find anything. I then looked around at the large and very nice library where I am studying. I couldn't even find a mention of the fact that today is Martin Luther King Jr. Day. They are showing a film this morning - Cinderella Man; seems like it would not have been that difficult to find a movie that deals with King, or at least issues of race. The church should be leading the way in remembering this great man, but I've found no honoring of his life at any church anywhere close to where I live. He gave so much to the church. He used love to help us see the evils of segregation and racism. Love. Not hate. Not power. Love. The same way Jesus taught us.

Second, I read this article on LaHaye and Falwell. It tells the story of the rise of the religious right and the evangelical obsession with the end times and the evangelicals' affect on the peace process in Palestine/Israel. I am sad that the theology of "a renegade Irish Anglican preacher named John Nelson Darby" can have so poorly affected such a large portion of the church that injustices (to Palestinians) are once again deemed part of God's plan and thus fought for vehemently with evangelical time, money, prayers and lives. I am also sad that such theology has so separated the church from the world in which and to which God has called it.

2 comments:

Grace said...

Happy MLK Day, Tim...

It would be happier if he were still with us.

He was a man among men like Ghandi and Jesus and hero of mine. I scarcely think I will ever know his ability to love to the point of death.

Sib said...

Another friend of mine mourned the neglect of MLK among churches.

I'm with you, Tim. Don't quite get it. I watched a PBS airing about MLK's life...and I finished watching Malcolm X this weekend. Two powerful voices in history...and future...two amazing men. It took Malcolm his entire life to actually "come around," but in his final years he was a great advocate for loving "others," and seeking an end to racism.

MLK's prophetic and poetic voice still seeps into my mind powerfully. A few years back, at Fuller, the Peace & Justice Committee sponsored an event to commemorate MLK...and a group of us shared in the oration of one of his speeches. I'll never forget reading his words and trying to imbibe his spirit and passion.