Aug 9, 2006

BLACK PEOPLE AT CHURCH!!!

Last Sunday our church hosted a dinner/celebration for diversity. It was quite a wonderful event. We had been telling Risa about the two parties we would be attending that weekend, one Friday night and one on Sunday night. She asks a lot of questions, so we had to explain to her what he parties were all about, what they were for, who would be there . . . etc . . .

Sunday morning, on the way to church she was asking again about the party that night, and we were explaining again the purpose of the party - "to celebrate our differences," we said. "Some people have red hair, like you, and some people have blond hair like Mom," I noted. Robin added, "Some people are black and some people are white." I continued, "Some people have elephants as pets, and some people smell really funny."

We got into the service and began singing worship songs. After about two songs I heard Risa saying "Daddy, Daddy." I looked down and she was pointing to the people down the row from us and added with a tremendous look of pride as though she'd solved a great puzzle, "Look! Black people!"

I smiled gently and returned to singing. When it was time for the offering, the pastor prayed, a girl came on stage and everyone was waiting for the music to start. Risa, confirming her new-found knowledge, again pointed and said louldy, "She's a black girl."

Well, by that time, I'd had enough. So I promptly picked her up, took her out to the lobby and laid a whooping on her! Can you believe her? Racist.

9 comments:

T. Basselin said...

BTW - that last paragraph was a joke.

Grahama said...

Nawwwwwww?!?!
What can you expect in a family like yours ;)
That must have been perty funny for the people that know her.
I personaly blame Sesame Street.
Their whole deal on "one of these kids is not like the others, one of these kids is doin his own thing" just teaches kids to point out people who are different.
Dang racist puppets. We had better make sure Sib doesn't make any of those.

Anonymous said...

And I thought I taught her better! I said I was an asian... she had no problem with it then.

-one of the many kims.

Anonymous said...

WOW I loved and LOL'ed hard at this story cause I can see her doing that!!!

Jake

PS Call me Tim I lost your new # :-D you know some things never change :P

Grace said...

I can totally picture this scene. Risa is too cute (and smart) for her britches!

Anonymous said...

Question: Which people smell funny?

T. Basselin said...

I did see that. It WAS pretty funny!

Mark - you know who i'm talking about.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you're a mean parent. Racism and child abuse all in one family... maybe we should have a talk, cuz we aren't that mean in Utah :) Hope you're doing well.
Misty

T. Basselin said...

I don't like talking about it Misty.