Stay-at-home Controller -
They've done strange things to me.
My instant reactions are foreign,
for I knew a time when stress was
unknown.
But they have pressured me with the constant whining
with uncontrolled arms flung through calm surfaces of glassed milk
and uncontrolled volumes shouting infestivities.
They have pressured me with thoughts choosing unreason
and uncontrolled tongues
talking back.
They have, in fact, compacted my soul into a small, square box,
hard, determined and in charge - like a tank.
And as my stalwart box marches forward, with impenetrable demands,
it shouts orders and shame
obliterating free spirits.
But when roared order is reestablished,
I find their obedience and broken spirits
have chiseled my formidable box of a soul down
to reveal the idols that live there.
Idols of stone anger, hatred, disgust
idols of self
under control only when controlling.
Idols unbreathing, unalive, except when I bow.
The light of their humility now exposes me
on my knees.
Jul 1, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Whoooosh!!!!
Actually, upon further examination, what I originally mistook for Whoosh way over my head was actually you tunneling far beneath me...
Be careful in the depths down there, or you may be eaten by a grue.
Shalom
Shalom
Thanks fellows.
I just re-read this post, and changed a few words, after having not read it for a while. It certainly got across the feelings I had at the time, but perhaps too pointedly to one side.
It's purpose was the realization that the blame I want to place on the kids for my own bad behavior should not be placed on them. It's not that "they have done this to me" as the poem starts. The sin, the idolatry of control (?), is within me. And often their sweet spirits in the face of my over-reactions reveals my sin to me.
I hear you bro.
Post a Comment