A baby boy arrives in early May.
Help us pick a name:
Aiden – Gaelic – Little Fire
Ambrose – Greek – Immortal
Amos – Hebrew – Encumbered
Asher – Hebrew – Happy
August – Latin – Venerated (Family Name)
Eitan – Hebrew – Mighty
Eldon – English – Humanitarian
Elias – Hebrew – My God is the Lord
Ethan – Hebrew – Mighty
Foster – Latin – Decent
Ian – Gaelic – God is Gracious
Judah (Jude) – Hebrew – Praise
Keane – German – Clever
Ladan – Hebrew – Witness
Liam – Hebrew – My Country
Malachai – Hebrew – My messenger
Matai – Hebrew – God is given to us
Micah – Hebrew – Who is similar to God?
Reuben – Hebrew – Behold a son
Sayer – Welsh – Wood worker
Sheldon – English – Valley of Willow trees
Silas – Aramaic – Inquire
Tanis – Amerian English – God is gracious
Theophilus (Theo) – Greek – Lover of God
Torin – Celtic – Leader
Feb 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
11 comments:
Aiden - I have a nephew by this name.
Amos - LOVE IT
August - Distinguished; bonus for being a family name
Ethan - Uncommon but prodigious
Foster - Too many hurtful joke possibilities
Keane - unique and strong
Ladan - depends on how you would pronounce it
Liam - let us hope he doesn't being a jingoist
Matai - I would recommend it but I'm afraid you would call him "Mat" (with one 't'), which would be an obvious mispelling. :)
Reuben - too many sandwich overtones
Sayer - I'm liking the possibilities with this one
Silas - Can't recommend this since I was thinking of it for our own kid.
Theophilus - Not unless the kid is a Huxtable.
Torin - powerful and forthright.
I like Amos, Keane, Sayer and Torin the best. August would be a sentimental pick, but strong. Torin is definitely my favorite, so if you don't take it I might hijack it.
That's all I've got.
Sorry about my errors in my last post. I mentioned before I have a problem with the post window on your site that keeps me from seeing half of what I am writing. :(
Ethan, Liam, Sayer and Silas
I'd say Aiden but that'll probably be the name of our next one ;)
Congrats that is awesome news.
He'll be a year younger than Ella.
Love you guys!
My fav's are Aiden and Reuben.
Aiden Elias is nice. Maybe Reuben Keane. But, hmmm, on second thought, do we like the ring of names ending in -en with Basselin? Yeah, I think so.
We were thinkin Aidan when the bean was just a lump without he/she parts yet. Now she's a DoraBean, we've met half a dozen Aidens. popular name.
I like Keane, but it might have something to do with the fact i dig Kean Shoes.
my top 3:
Asher - sounds like he'd be fast and feels good to say.
Tanis - isn't that where Indie found the Lost Arc?
Torin - stron name for a man whos gonna need to be strong with 2 older sisters. (say no to piggy tails bro, i'm speaking from experience here)
Do you have a middle name picked out already?
My big favs from your list:
Amos
Asher (LOVE THIS! It was on our list when we were prego with Thatcher--have you read "The Giver" by Lois Lowry? THe protaganist (sp?) is named Asher--powerful character with a powerful story)
August
Eldon (LOVE THIS!)
Keane
Elias
What a great list!
Do you have a middle name picked out already?
My big favs from your list:
Amos
Asher (LOVE THIS! It was on our list when we were prego with Thatcher--have you read "The Giver" by Lois Lowry? THe protaganist (sp?) is named Asher--powerful character with a powerful story)
August
Eldon (LOVE THIS!)
Keane
Elias
What a great list!
Hey guys!
Hope all is well.
I don’t think we have your current e-mail address.
Anyways, here goes-
Mel and I have found that for most of the kids we know, the meaning of their name actually does reflect their personality. On that note, here are our picks:
Our fav
Keane – German – Clever (Great name, awesome meaning)
2nd choices - in no particular order
Aiden – Gaelic – Little Fire (Great name, may be a handful )
Asher – Hebrew – Happy
August – Latin – Venerated (Was middle of the list, but you can’t overlook a family name.)
Micah – Hebrew – Who is similar to God?
Silas – Aramaic – Inquire (Good name, how many questions are you willing to answer? :p)
Ethan, Ian, Aiden, and Micah are some pretty common names that Lis has come across as a teacher. You may consider that if there are namesakes in the same class, one inevitably has to modify his name to be distinguished from the other. But if you're cool with that, then horale, go for it.
You may also consider how you'll introduce your kids, how his name sounds in conjunction with his sisters' names.
Lis likes Keane, Sayer ("say-er"?),and Ladan. I'm partial to Asher and Malachi, but only when you say Malachi with the Hebrew throat lügi.
Has DaVinci Code tainted the name Silas, since he was the albino bad-guy/sympathetic believer who was duped by the mastermind? And theres a new drug, "Vitorin," for prostate problems, I think, that may have bearing on "Torin". But then, Torin is close to "Torince", which is like "Terance", and that's pretty cool.
Congrats! We love you guys.
I don't know him yet, but he seems like a Valley of Willow trees to me, so I'd have to say Sheldon.
Congratulations! I can't wait to drive across the country again and see you in Chicago.
-Brett Arnold
Malachai Ian... that is my pick!
Hey guys - It's Laura Daniels from Birmingham. Chris told me about your blog a couple of months ago, but I'm just now getting around to looking at it. I don't have the time (or depth) to get into deep philisopical discussions, but I love looking at the pictures of your sweet girls. The statue pictures are too funny! I'm sure your missing the great weather in California, but having family close by (and your very own house!!!) helps make up for it I'm sure. I'm looking foward to hearing about the new arrival. Hope all goes well with the delivery. Please put me on your e-mail list (or mailing list) for the birth announcement. laura.daniels@yahoo.com
I Love and miss you guys,
Laura
Post a Comment