
Left Behind Video Game
Thanks to Matt for sending me this article.
It describes how a new video game, based on the Left Behind series, is considered family friendly by its creators. Yet to win the game, players must either convert people to Christianity or gun them down. Every person encountered has a life story, and many of the unconverted have Muslim-sounding names. This is, of course, a very logical outcome of the worldview presented in the Left Behind books.
What I find amazing is that the poeple who are promoting and buying this video game are the same people that would argue (I think rightly) that violent video games affect our view of the world and lead to violent actions. It's ok, though I suppose, as long as that killing fits into their worldview of who should be killed.
Thanks to Matt for sending me this article.
It describes how a new video game, based on the Left Behind series, is considered family friendly by its creators. Yet to win the game, players must either convert people to Christianity or gun them down. Every person encountered has a life story, and many of the unconverted have Muslim-sounding names. This is, of course, a very logical outcome of the worldview presented in the Left Behind books.
What I find amazing is that the poeple who are promoting and buying this video game are the same people that would argue (I think rightly) that violent video games affect our view of the world and lead to violent actions. It's ok, though I suppose, as long as that killing fits into their worldview of who should be killed.
6 comments:
That's pretty twisted. I've been convinced of LaHaye's screwiness for quite some time, but this is disturbing.
eh, why not.
it's hard to get real life experience in conversion, so a virtual version is a nice safe place to learn how to survive when you're left below. poor post-tribers.
...and if violent games cause people to be violent, why is it that people who watch lots of comedys aren't necessarily funny?
First, nice new lay-out, T. Basselin!
Second, this game is insanity! Convert people to Christianity or blow them away? Wait... where have I heard that before?
this reminds me of billy graham's bible blaster on the simpsons. "Got em", "No, you just winged him, so he became a unitarian" "Second-Coming, reload, reload."
the anti-defamation league said,
"The game is designed to make force an option only used by players if necessary when their forces are attacked by those hunting them, and any characters that kill others in the game are penalized. Conversion to Christianity in the game is not depicted as forcible in nature, and violence is not rewarded in the game." adl.org
"Many groups have made inaccurate statements about this game that need to be corrected. For one thing, it is not particularly violent. While there are violent aspects of the game, the game makes it clear that shooting is the last resort. Second, it is not hateful to other religions. It does have an agenda, and I think you need to know that going in, but there's no bashing of other faiths." arstechnica.com
"To keep the balance of power in your favor, you'll have to find non-violent ways to avoid getting killed. Your units will definitely fight back in a life or death situation but, for the most part, you want to either avoid your enemies or have a ready plan to convert to your side using musicians and disciples. This gets much harder as the game progresses.” pc.ign.com
ftr- I disagree with much of LaHaye's theology primarily because I think he's a kook, and I'm a little disturbed if some of the big name ministries endorse this game without any disclaimer, but I haven't been able to find their statements yet. However, I think it is also a little unbalanced to only point to an article in the People's Republic of San Francisco Chronicle as your source for accurate discernment.
Post a Comment